All the reliability information and breakdowns listed on the Opel Grandland X SUV, which appeared in 2017, technical twin of the Peugeot 3008.
The Opel Grandland X, an SUV competing with the Volkswagen Tiguan, Ford Kuga, Hyundai Tucson or Renault Kadjar, was presented in a deeply restyled version in spring 2021.
Based on a technical basis of Peugeot 3008, the German took advantage of this development to abandon the “X” of its name, thus becoming the “short” Grandland!
- Launch: september 2017
- Restyling: October 2021
The 1.6 Diesel 120 ch, called HDi at Peugeot and Citroën, is sober and pleasant, but suffers occasionally power losses, jolts and an engine warning light coming on.
Reprogramming is normally sufficient to resolve these problems.
This same engine, like the 2.0 Diesel 177 hp, has an anomaly in the AdBlue tank, replaced by Opel, or in the nitrogen oxides sensor.
The more modern 1.5 Diesel with 130 hp also encountered sudden power losses, due tomapping disturbed by temperature sensors and air pressure. Grandland Xs produced after fall 2019 are normally no longer affected.
Little is known about the 1.6-liter engine, which is not widely used. The same cannot be said of the 1.2 Turbo …
Worries oil pump, spark plugs, heat exchanger, timing belt or lambda sensor are identified. Standard engine swaps were also carried out.
This three-cylinder block, which develops 130 hp, also experiences Stop & Start system failures.
It sometimes requires mapping updates, to eradicate indicator lights and reduce the chances of encountering power losses and operating irregularities.
The mechanical gearboxes of the Grandland X also had their share of glitches: gears could “jump” and / or become difficult to engage, especially on vehicles assembled before November 2019.
Sometimes this comes from the cable settings, sometimes from the pinions and synchros.
Defects and abnormal noises usually come from the front axle. The stabilizer bar link, brake pads, hub and knuckle carrier can cause noise and vibrations.
The multimedia system and the touch screen show an overall satisfactory reliability, but may on some models present malfunctions such as a frozen screen or off.
We have also received reports of inoperative air conditioning. And the electric mirror adjustment control can also become inoperative.
Sales of Grandland X (over the first 5 months of 2021, in France)
Essence : 24,1 %
- 1.2 Turbo 130 ch : 11,1 %
- 1.2 Turbo 130 hp Automatic: 12.2%
- 1.6 Turbo 180 hp Automatic: 0.8%
Diesel : 55,2 %
- 1.6 Diesel 120 ch : 0,1 % *
- 1.5 Diesel 130 ch : 15 %
- 1.5 Diesel 130 hp Automatic: 40%
- 2.0 Diesel 177 hp Automatic: 0.1% *
Plug-in hybrid: 20.7%
- 225 ch FWD : 6,3 %
- 300ch AWD : 14.4%
* engines missing from the catalog
- Elégance : 0,3 %
- Edition Business : 1,4 %
- GS Line : 11,5 %
- Ultimate : 32,9 %
- Edition : 6,5 %
- Elegance Business: 33.3%
- Design Line : 4,7 %
- Opel 2020 : 3,8 %
- Elite : 4,7 %
- Innovation : 0,9 %
Opel Grandland X: more info
As he reaches mid-career, the Grandland X has sold 29,147 units in France (volume stopped at the end of May 2021). Its plug-in hybrid engine, available in two versions, already achieves more than 20% of sales in 2021.
Opel Grandland X: main recalls
- Oil: (fall 2018) Failure to tighten the drain plug could result in a major engine oil leak. This anomaly affected the models produced during April-May 2018.
- Particles: (spring 2019) Grandland X diesels produced up to early 2019 may have a higher particulate rate than specified. The DPF has thus been replaced on some of the 166 models potentially concerned in France.
- Coupling: (spring 2020) On a series of 16 Grandland X Hybrid4s manufactured in early 2020, the towing hook bolted assembly may not comply and, in an extreme and unlikely case, the crossmember attached to the towing hitch may separate from the vehicle during ‘a tow.
Every 25,000 km or 12 months
Opel Grandland X reliability: the verdict
With mechanical organs released by its cousin the Peugeot 3008, the Grandland X has avoided some trouble. But the 1.2 Turbo engine, yet pleasant, has a lot of anomalies, sometimes serious.
Occasionally, for the reliability aspect, it is better to orient your choice towards diesel engines or recent plug-in hybrid versions. RATING: 13/20
- Roominess and trunk
- Comfort and dynamic qualities
- Price / equipment ratio
The lessers :
- Presentation without charm
- Diesel soundproofing
- 1.2 Turbo reliability flaws
The reliability of the Grandland X’s competitors:
Used BMW X1 (F48): reviews, reliability, problems, recalls
Used Mazda CX-5 II: reviews, reliability, known issues, recalls
Used Volkswagen Tiguan: reviews, reliability, known issues, recalls