There are so many different video formats that it can be difficult to stitch together streams from multiple sources to achieve consistent, good quality editing. Fortunately, the best video converters are easy-to-use programs that can handle a wide variety of file types. We have tested for you the solutions that can be found in free download, to retain the most practical and efficient software.
There are many reasons a user wants to convert a file to a different format. The video may not be able to be played back or processed on theby lack of or resources. Today, most devices can record video stream by . This offers excellent screen rendering, but generates particularly heavy documents, which sometimes (especially on older machines) slow down reading or errors during editing. In this case, it is necessary to reduce the file size by using converting software.
With these programs, you can keep your entire collection of videos in a single format, decrease the frame width to simplify editing or editing, or simply change the extension of a file or its file. size to share it more easily with other people.
It is important to specify that if you wishor any other platform of , this may be contrary to the terms of service. The owner of the clip may believe that a copyright infringement has occurred, unless you yourself are the copyright holder or the video is in the public domain. With that in mind, below we bring you our pick of the best free video converters.
EaseUS Video Editor, the converter integrated into the video editing software
MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV, MOV, WEBM, MPG, FLV, SWF … In addition to its video editing software capabilities, EaseUS Video Editor can convert files into many formats. Practical and above all useful to be able to read them from any device. Windows free video editing software version allows fast converting videos to video format.to MP3, for example.
Video editing software can also convert video toto use these small often playful sequences on the , or messages, for example. Converting is just one of the many options of EaseUS Video Editor, as it is above all a powerful and complete editing software integrating many filters and special effects. At the moment, the software is enjoying an exceptional 50% discount for its paid version.
Advantages of EaseUS Video Editor:
- The free version has a lot of unrestricted video editing options.
- The tool can convert videos to almost any format available at the moment.
- The conversion is done with just a few clicks.
Cons of EaseUS Video Editor:
- The free version does not allow conversions to Full-HD.
- The software is only compatible with Windows (all versions).
Free Video Converter, the aptly named program, by Aiseesoft Studio
The development studio Aiseesoft has chosen to call its software in the most explicit way possible: Free Video Converter. This tool effectively converts video into many formats and offers a wide choice of pre-recorded profiles (, iPad, mobile of various makes and models, consoles, etc.). Depending on the choice of profile, the user can configure the encoder, the resolution, the video, frequency and audio settings.
Free Video Converter supports 3D video format, whether it is side by side, top and bottom, or anaglyph layout. It also allows to extract the audio track from a video, by selecting an output in the format, AC3, MP2, MP3, DTS, , , , M4A, M4B, M4R, MKA, OGG, WAV or WMA. However, we regret that all the tools in the left column are only additional components not included for which Aiseesoft is advertising.
Advantages of Free Video Converter:
- Many profiles of all kinds to quickly adapt the video to a device.
- Direct addition of a complete file for batch processing.
- Easily merge multiple videos into one.
Cons of Free Video Converter:
- Video editing only allows you to add a custom still image at the start and end of the clip.
- Advertisements for Aiseesoft throughout the left column.
- Does not support creating files in 4K resolution.
Format Factory, the factory to convert files
Video conversion is only a small part of the functionality of Format Factory, which aims to be the Swiss Army knife of converting files of all kinds. It is obviously capable of processing videos, but also images and music. It can turn PDF file to Word or Excel and rip aor one audio.
Just in the video part that interests us, Format Factory is rich in features: It can convert one or more videos to MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, FLV, WMV, WebM, 3CP, MPG, SWF,or OGG. It has a number of pre-recorded profiles, sorted by extension and by resolution.
It allows you to crop part of the image, merge several elements and add a sound track to a video. It even adds two modules to directly retrieve content: one allows you to quickly download videos from video platforms.(you just have to copy / paste the URL address), and the other to record what is displayed on the screen in video.
Advantages of Format Factory:
- Support converting all popular video, audio and image formats.
- Repair damaged media files.
- Tools video, online content download and rip CDs, DVDs and .
Cons of Format Factory:
- Addition of additional programs during installation (to be deselected manually).
- Poorly organized and difficult to understand settings menu.
HandBrake, the open source and multiplatform reference
Originally, HandBrake was created to run on MacOS. This open source software has since been ported to Windows andto expand its user base. If it recognizes a very large number of input formats, it can only convert them to MKV or MP4. However, it includes a good variety of profiles dedicated to consoles, mobiles or streaming platforms, ranging from 240p at 30fps (in MP4) to 2160p or 4K at 60fps (in MKV).
HandBrake offers the possibility of inserting or deleting a soundtrack, associating subtitles or creating several chapters. It allows you to directly add a complete folder to apply the same conversion settings to all files and start a batch process. HandBrake is intended primarily for advanced users, some of its options (including filters) can be difficult for beginners to learn, especially since the interface is offered in English.
Benefits of HandBrake:
- Drag and drop support to easily add files and folders.
- Batch processing with fast and high quality conversion.
- Support for multiple subtitle and chapter tracks.
Disadvantages of HandBrake:
- Interface in English, not very accessible to beginners.
- Only two file formats supported for output (MP4 and MKV).
- No audio track extraction.
Any Video Converter, the all-in-one video converter
Any Video Converter Free is the free version of Any Video Converter Ultimate converter software. Also abbreviated, this program allows you to directly rip DVDs, audio CDs and disk images in . It can be used to convert videos (in input as in output, the software supports more than twenty formats), to add an audio track or subtitles and to merge several videos into one.
Like Format Factory, Any Video Converter Free includes a module for downloading content from streaming platforms and it can extract audio track from videos from YouTube, for example. It also has a tool forCD and DVD discs, to view all your video memories from the of your living room.
Advantages of Any Video Converter:
- Rip audio CDs and DVDs.
- Integrated disc burning module.
- Online Content Downloader (YouTube, , VEVO, , etc.).
- Basic Video Effects ( , , saturation, watermark, filters).
Cons of Any Video Converter:
- Addition of additional programs during installation (to be deselected manually).
- Does not support creating files in 4K resolution (in free version).
What you must remember
- All the software presented can be used individually for an unlimited period and free of charge, and accepts a large number of input formats. Among this selection, two programs do not support the creation of files in 4K resolution: Free Video Converter and Any Video Converter. The former may however be recommended for quickly merging multiple videos or performing batch processing. The second is a good alternative for adding basic effects while joining elements.
- If you need to convert files of all kinds, Format Factory is arguably the most complete choice.
- HandBrake offers fewer features, but offers excellent performance, drag and drop support and batch conversion of files up to 4K resolution.