The majority of countries in the world have adopted right-hand drive. But in some states, mostly related to the former British colonial empire, you continue to drive on the left.
There is no real historical explanation forleft or right of the road. Generally speaking, most of the older of the British Empire retained driving on the left. But some have changed direction over time, generally to facilitate trade and commerce with their neighbors.
Nigeria, a former British colony, thus switched to right-hand driving in 1972. Conversely, the Samoa Islands changed their direction of traffic in 2009 in order to make it easier for its drivers to access roads.of its Australian and New Zealand neighbors.
In total, almost a third of the population drives on the left. Here is the map and the list of theseby continent.
- United Kingdom, Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Jersey and Guernsey.
- Bhutan, Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Maldives, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, Pakistan, Thailand, East Timor, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Sultanate of Brunei.
Did you know ?
If you drive on the right everywhere in China, you continue to drive on the left in Hong Kong and Macau.
- South Africa, Botswana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Maldives, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Uganda, Seychelles, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Bermuda, Dominica, , Guyana, Islands , Falkland Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago.
- Australia, New Zealand, Cocos Islands, Cook Islands, Fiji Islands, Samoa Islands, Tonga Islands, Kiribati, Nauru.