While motorway prices are increasing each year, some axes see toll prices growing faster than elsewhere. Numbers.
Outbreak at the barrier? Like every year, Auto Moto has compiled the rates for the motorways granted to companies in France. And our archives also allow us evaluate prices over several years.
Ascertainment : all axes are not housed in the same way. The A28 motorway connecting Abbeville and Tours is the one that has seen the largest increase in its prices over the past four years (+ 8.92%) in front of the A19 (Sens-Artenay). Among these ten “ribbons”, four are managed by ASF (Motorways of the south of France). It is the holder of the greatest number of kilometers conceded in France.
The top 10 increases between 2018 and 2021:
- A28 motorway (Abbeville – Tours): + 8.92%
- A19 motorway (Sens – Artenay): + 8.65%
- A83 motorway (Nantes – Niort): + 8.13%
- A61 motorway (Narbonne – Toulouse): + 7.75%
- A87 motorway (Angers – La Roche-sur-Yon): + 7.69%
- A75 motorway (Clermont-Ferrand – Béziers): + 7.69% *
- A85 motorway (Angers – Vierzon): + 6.45%
- A16 motorway (L’Isle-Adam – Belgium via Amiens and Calais): + 5.74%
- A9 motorway (Orange – Spain): + 5.41%
- A48 motorway (Bourgoin-Jallieu – Grenoble): + 5.17%
=> 2021 motorway prices: the most expensive… and the cheapest axes
=> How are toll prices set?
As an indication, here are the inflation rates measured in France during the years 2018 to 2020:
Inflation according to INSEE
- 2018 : 1,8 %
- 2019 : 1,1 %
- 2020 : 0,5 %
Alone two axes conceded did not see their prices increase between 2018 and 2021. These are the A52 (Aubagne – Aix-en-Provence) and A68 (Toulouse – Albi) highways. Common point: a very short paid section.
Note: we were unable to recover the prices for the A65 and A150 motorways in previous years.
* The only toll section on the A75 is the Millau viaduct
Photo from one: Fabrice Bolusset
Are German highways better than the French?
Tolls: reductions for the biggest drivers?
Tolls: soon a tax depending on traffic jams?