The days of MP3 players with memory saturated with badly stored music are over. The most common practice now is listening to streaming music, at home or on the go. We present in this article our favorite applications to play music tracks from your smartphone, without occupying the internal storage space of the device.
In recent years, there has been a resurgence of interest in the format, which is gaining more and more followers among young music lovers who appreciate its retro side and its sound quality. The other media (cassettes, CDs, etc.) are neglected by the general public, which is turning overwhelmingly to the consumption of streaming music.
The democratization of mobile Internet access with aof significant data (greater than 20 GB / month) has helped change uses. Users can now stream music for several hours a day without exhausting their allocated monthly envelope. Streaming platforms generally reference tens of millions of titles. They are able to learn the tastes of users to recommend new things that they might like. They can also create a personalized broadcasting a mix based on the listening history.
All thepresented in this article require at least one registration. To take full advantage of all the possibilities offered, it may be interesting to take out a paid subscription. However, it is often possible to listen to music streaming without cost, as long as you accept commercial breaks. In the rest of this article, we will introduce you to several different services, available on both Android and iOS.
Deezer – The French streaming music platform
One of the most important players in streaming music is French! Indeed, the head office of Deezer, which debuts on the Web date back to 2007, is based in Paris. Free registration gives access to 56 million tracks in random play only. TheRegular advertising then helps to monetize the service.
Access to the Deezer Premium paid subscription makes it possible to avoid these advertisements and to choose precisely the music played, from the entire catalog. Offline mode is also part of the game: you can freely store a few albums on your phone to listen to them without interruption in the metro, the plane, or any area where the music is.Internet is lacking.
Benefits of Deezer:
- Custom radios are smart and quickly adapt to user tastes
- Deezer is available on a large number of platforms: , smartphones, tablets, , box TV Android
- Elite service unlocks high definition CD audio quality
Cons of Deezer:
- Some tracks are cut before the last chords
- A cut of one second is often present between two pieces
- It is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between a music and its different remixes (the name of the title does not precisely display the version)
Spotify – The world leader in music streaming
Main competitor to Deezer, the Swedish Spotify offers an equivalent service. By registering for free, you have access to the catalog, but playback is random, zapping between tracks is limited, and advertising breaks interrupt the music.
The paid subscription is the only way to improve listening quality (at 320 kbit / s) and to remove advertisements. It also offers an offline mode and access to exclusive music content. Offers exist to adapt to the budget of families (up to 6 users) and students.
Benefits of Spotify:
- A top-notch music catalog and a sleek dark theme
- Reading transfer between multiple devices
- A paid offer is specially dedicated to students
Cons of Spotify:
- Limiting the offline library to 10,000 titles
- No cloud integration of purchased or downloaded music
- Audio quality is limited to OGG Vorbis at 320 kbit / s
Google Play Music – Stream up to 50,000 songs from your personal collection
Google Play Music is the streaming music listening platform linked to
He can then play them on the go from the Google Play Music app. or from his tablet. Any albums purchased individually on Google Play will also appear in this app.
By subscribing to the paid subscription, Google Play Music gives access to a catalog of 40 million songs on demand and to YouTube Music, with the possibility of unlimited zapping and without advertising. Smart radios offer content that adapts to the mood or the situation, to make it easier to discover new things.
Benefits of Google Play Music:
- The ability to import 50,000 titles from your personal collection for free
- Unlimited and free listening to your personal collection in streaming
- Good performance of the application and regular updates
Cons of Google Play Music:
- An uncertain placement against YouTube Music, which could replace it in the coming years
- The interface of the application has not changed and deserves a redesign
Tidal – The High Quality Audio Streaming Platform
Tidal is a recent music streaming platform, born in 2014. Bought by American rapper Jay-Z in 2015, it boasts a catalog of more than 60 million tracks, which would make it the largest on the market.places great importance on music quality and streams compressed lossless audio content and some albums are even available in MASTER quality. Tidal also offers video content like music videos, interviews and concerts.
Unlike Deezer and Spotify, there is no free plan to listen to full tracks. Visitors can listen to albums and radios, but only the first 30 seconds are played. The platform offers a month’s free trial for its premium subscription to get a feel for Tidal’s potential.
Benefits of Tidal:
- The platform offers the best sound quality, compressed without loss
- Some artists offer their albums in preview on Tidal
- The streaming service provides original and exclusive content like interviews, concerts and music videos
- The service pays artists more fairly
Cons of Tidal:
- Free access only allows you to listen to 30-second extracts
- The cost of a high-quality subscription is not within everyone’s reach
What you must remember
- Deezer and Spotify are quite similar in terms of services and subscriptions. It is understandable that many users find it difficult to choose between one or the other of the two platforms. The choice for Deezer can be made out of patriotism, while the one for Spotify is usually a matter of preference for the dark interface.
- Google Play Music is totally different, since it allows you to create your own music service. including up to 50,000 titles from his personal music collection. This is an option that none of the other applications presented in this article can provide.
- Tidal is dedicated to confirmed music lovers, who have a larger budget and equipment that can allow them to enjoy high-fidelity sound quality.