Already seven years old, the “little” Porsche SUV is evolving smoothly to extend its career. Test of the Macan 2021, version S.
“I think we did a good job”. To qualify the work done on the Macan, which takes advantage ofa second restyling after the one at the end of 2018, the design manager shows his satisfaction.
It is not, however, as if this SUV launched in 2014 was metamorphosed; the front apron appears more airy, while the prominent extractor, the three new body colors and the seven new rims are the other most notable developments.
All the engines show an increase in power, like of the 2.9 V6 of the S version, which grabs 26 hp and 40 Nm of couple. But still no trace of hybridization, and that’s the problem …
Without “electrification”, there is no salvation. Because in France, whatever its mechanics, the Macan embarks with it a systematic penalty of € 30,000.
His successful commercial career with over 600,000 units sold worldwide, now appears to be heavy in our regions.
Behind the steering wheel, perfectly vertical, nothing changes: with still improved running gears and a front axle offering good feedback, the German remains a concentrate of fun.
Porschists purists bottle-fed the 911 may not see it as one SUV among many, but this model remains the most dynamic in its segment.
Precise, agile, efficient, the Macan twirls from curves to turns without rolling or pitching, with disconcerting ease. Never overwhelmed by its weight, always able to tighten a trajectory, it can even take advantage of the torque vectoring system (1,500 €), to increase its traction.
The driving modes also operate on pneumatic controlled suspension (€ 1,488) capable of generating stiffness… or a very acceptable level of comfort.
In terms of dynamic performance, there is always a gulf between what offers a Macan, imperial, and what are capable of potential competitors, more recent but sporty, badged Mercedes, BMW or even Volvo.
The biturbo V6 benefits from a nice tone of voice and buries the basic 4-cylinder engine (265 hp), powerful but without any magic. In “S”, the Macan is thus very homogeneous, capable of moving but also of rendering the services that one expects from such an SUV.
The habitability, unchanged, and the presentation, taking advantage ofa new steering wheel and a touchscreen console surrounding the transmission lever, remain flattering.
We could however regret the absence of digital instrumentation or “hands-free” starting, but the central tachometer and the ignition key to the left of the steering wheel, atavisms from another era, remain endearing details.
We will have to reckon with them until the end of the career of this version, which should remain on sale in parallel with the future 100% electric Macan, completely new, expected in 2023.
But to the murderous penalty that this SUV must face, is added an unchanged pricing policy, inviting a prolonged and very expensive passage to the list of options.
Test Porsche Macan S – our opinion:
A dynamic benchmark in the segment, the “new” Macan, with slim evolutions, remains a tasty model. But its price, the use of the options it imposes and its XXL penalty invite you to look at competing models …
- Impressive road handling
- Performance and temperament
We like less
- Mandatory option use
- High price and killer penalty
- Basic equipment
Technical data sheet (Porsche Macan S)
- Engine: front, 6-cylinder V, petrol, twin-turbo, 24 valves, 2894 cc3 , particle filter
- Transmission: four-wheel drive, robotized double clutch, 7 speeds
- Power (hp @ rpm): 380 to 5,200
- Torque (Nm at rpm): 520 to 1,850
- Empty weight (kg): 1,930
- Long.xlarg.xhaut. (m) : 4,73×1,93×1,62
- Wheelbase (m): 2.81
- Turning diameter (m): 12
- Max speed (km / h): 259
- 0 to 100 km/h (s): 4 ”8
- 0 to 200 km/h (s): 18 ”9
- AV-AR series tires: 265/45 R 20 – 295/40 R 20
- Test tires: Michelin Latitude Sport 3
- Conso. Mixed WLTP (l / 100 km): 11.1 to 11.7
- Conso. during test (l / 100 km): 12.9
- CO2 (g / km): 251 to 265
- Malus : 30 000 €
- Chest at 5 / at 2 (l): 458/1503
- Front / rear elbow width (cm): 154/148
- Rear legroom (cm): 69
- Tank (l): 65
- Country of manufacture: Germany
- Warranty: 2 years / unlimited mileage
- Fiscal power: 26 CV
- De base rate : 73 597 € (Tiger S)
- Price of the tested version: 109 339 €
PROPOSED RANGE (Porsche Macan)
Gasoline, from 265 to 440 hp, from 64,366 € to 90,350 €
- 75 liter tank capacity: 120 €
- Air-controlled suspension: € 1,488
- Sport exhaust: € 2,424
- Panoramic sunroof: € 1,662
- Vectorisation du couple : 1 500 €
- Front and rear parking cameras, reversing camera and 360 °: € 1,260
- “Hands-free” access: 648 €
- Leather interior package: € 1,548
- BMW X4 M40i, 360 hp, from € 79,650
- Mercedes-AMG GLC Coupé 43, 390 hp, from € 75,500
- Volvo XC60 Recharge T6, 340 hp, plug-in hybrid, from € 65,980
Porsche news, deals with auto-moto.com:
A Porsche Taycan Cross in the boxes?
Porsche 911 GT3 Touring test: it’s off again for a lap (ing)
New 2021 Porsche Cayenne Turbo GT: price, info and official photos