What is the difference between the private IP address and the public IP address on your broadband box? How to know them?
Your high boxhas a private IP address and a public IP address. Find out what makes them different and how to know them.
Public IP address
A box has an “outward facing” IP address that materializes its address on the network: This is the public IP address. This is the address that “sees” for example a on which you are going to trade. It is his connection to the Net. These addresses are used by computers on the network to communicate with each other. Thus, each computer on a network has a unique IP address.
Private IP address
A box also has an “inward-facing” IP address, that is to say, allowing one or more computers to be connected. This is the private IP address.
How to know your public IP
- The public IP address is issued by your ISP (Internet service provider) when you install and synchronize the box.
- Some also allow you to know it.
Here’s how to find out your public IP:
- Connect to your box:
- Go to My Services → Internet Access → Internet Connection Status
- Or go to a site like:
How to know your private IP with Windows
- If you are under Windows 2000, or Windows Vista, go to Start / run then type “cmd /k ipconfig /all”.
- If you are under Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 8 go to start/run, then type “winipcfg”.
Here is the detailed procedure under Windows to recover its private IP address:
- go to Start → Run → Cmd
- type the command “ipconfig /all”
The list of all the Ethernet cards on your PC then appears, with their IP addresses and the following information:
- connection name in Windows properties;
- MAC address of the ;
- address ” from your computer.
Astuce Windows 10
- In the taskbar, click on the icon of your connection, then select the active connection marked “Connected”;
- In the that opens, click the active connection again. You will then see the information relating to your connection, including your private IPv4 address.
How to know your private IP with macOS
- Go to the “System Preferences” menu (apple icon at the top left of the screen), then open the “Network” menu.
- Next, click on your active connection, the private IP address will then be displayed in the upper right part of the window.