As if the price of zero-emission cars was not already too high for most French people, the rise in the price of electricity could in turn turn away some prospects today. In any case, this is what a recent survey reveals.
We told you about this a short time ago, people who move towards an electric vehicle (or towards an alternative fuel model) do it not because they want to reduce their carbon footprint but above all because want to control their spending. Not that the ecological argument is not important, the acquisition of a zero emission model remains in many cases a militant act, but the low cost of electricity is particularly attractive to prospects. According to a study by Deloitte, respondents from all over the world placed the cost of electricity as the main reason for buying a 100% electric car. Except that the prices of electricity should not increase in the same proportions as those of gasoline and diesel, or even worse, because the French are particularly sensitive to this subject. In any case, this is what emerges from a new Franco-French survey carried out this time by the Leocare insurance company.
For 83% of French people, the increase in the cost of electricity is a barrier to purchase
It’s simple, to the question “Is the increase in the cost of electricity an obstacle to getting an electric vehicle?” “, the respondents were very, very likely to answer “yes”. For 41% of them, this is even “completely” the case. For 42%, “yes rather”. In total, this gives 83% of respondents who answered in the affirmative. That’s a lot when you know that the price of electricity is the third obstacle “to the acquisition of an electric vehicle” (52%), after the price of the electric vehicle (74%) and autonomy (67 %). Moreover, the question of cost is so important for the French that the next two brakes, the fourth and fifth are, in order, the cost of maintenance and the price of insurance. However, for once, it is an a priori insofar as the cost of maintenance is precisely to the advantage of electric. For insurance, it depends on the models, but let’s recognize that Teslas can break records in the bad sense of the word.
That might give them a hard time
So, of course, the price of electricity has not increased in the same proportions as that of unleaded or diesel. According to figures shared by France info at the end of last month, kWh prices went “from 22 to 33 cents on a classic terminal and from 33 to 62 cents for a fast charge”. And a full tank of electricity is always more attractive: thus, “to travel 100 kilometers with an electric car, it takes between 2 and 9 euros depending on the type of recharge compared to 12 euros for a diesel vehicle”, still according to Franceinfo . But the difference is also due to the fact that electricity is not taxed like fossil fuels. It is expected that this will change in the coming years because, if this were not the case, it would represent a big hole in the state coffers.
Psychologically, even though recharges are still mostly done at home today, the increase in electricity prices could thus slow down sales of electric vehicles. Knowing moreover that they have tended to settle for two years. After a sharp increase in early 2020 as automakers pushed zero-emission models (as well as electrified vehicles as a whole) in order to meet tough targets set by CAFE regulations (financial penalties fall if they don’t meet not the CO2 limits imposed by the EU), the market share of electric vehicles has stagnated between 13% and 16% since the second half of 2021. The boom long awaited by the authorities has therefore still not really arrived.
Also read on Auto-Moto.com:
Hyundai Ioniq 6 test: our opinion on the South Korean electric sedan
Electric cars: will manufacturers counterattack the price war launched by Tesla?
Electric cars 2023: models, prices, range, charging, battery