For the price of a small new city car you can have fun with a used sports car, still valiant. Focus on the second model in our selection with the DS3 Racing available on the second-hand market from €12,000.
Restyled twice, in 2014 and 2016, this original DS3, now supplanted by the DS3 Crossback crossover – both wiser and more expensive – combines original line, sporty-chic interior atmosphere and neat finish.
In addition to an attractive convertible version, incorrectly called Cabrio, this 3-door, 4-seater offered multiple customization possibilities.
Offering a wide range of petrol and diesel engines, from 92 to 156/165 hp, its engines were topped by a 202/208 hp version of the PSA-BMW 1.6 THP.
In addition to its excellent performance, this Racing version managed to further optimize the rigor of an already very well born chassis – derived from that of the old and placid C3 – to make it one of the most rigorous small sports cars of its generation. Sporty but not very playful due to a rear axle that is a little too tight for the taste of fans of small, more “playful” French GTi.
Reliability rating: 3 stars
Reliability marred by sometimes serious engine problems.
The most frequently encountered problems
- 1.6 THP engines
- metallic noise at startup
- faulty chain tensioner, with risk of engine failure
- injector problems
- turbo pressure regulation
- water pump leak
- breakages (reminder in April 2010).
- Incorrect tightening of the front axle (recall in July 2010), the engine cover (recall in September 2010), or the fuel tank (recall in October 2010)
- varnished with fragile paint
- very exposed rims and front spoiler