The Google Drive online storage and document sharing service now has an application to manage the backup and automatic synchronization of local folders on the hard drives of a Windows PC or Mac. Here is our manual for installing and using this tool.
Like other services cloud storage and sharing of data such as( ) or Dropbox, Google Drive already offered a file synchronization system. It was based on a Drive folder in which you could drop files / folders that you wanted to save online to access them from any connected terminal.
has perfected its system and has just launched a new version called ” and synchronization ”which therefore offers an automated backup and synchronization of local folders on Windows PCs, but also SD and peripherals . The main novelty is the ability to choose the folders you want to synchronize without having to change their original location to place them in a common folder. It is much more practical and simple.
Download and install Google Backup and sync
To use this feature, you must have a Google account and an online storage space on Google Drive which, in its free version, goes up to 15 GB. Note that this manual was produced on. The procedure under macOS is generally identical, except for the nomenclatures specific to the OS of for the names of certain menus.
- To download the Backup and synchronization, go to the page of or that of . Once the file has been downloaded to the from your Windows or macOS computer, open it to start the installation.
- Click on the button To start in the application which then prompts you to enter your Google account credentials.
Select the folders to back up to Google Drive
The next step is to choose the specific folders you want to back up and automatically sync to Google Drive.
- In the window that opens named My computer, you will find that by default Google Drive offers to synchronize the Documents, Pictures and Computer folders (for the Windows version). If you want to save all of the data in these folders, leave the setting as it is. Otherwise, uncheck these options and opt for manual selection.
- To do this, click on Select a folder. You can then browse your computer’s hard drive, the contents of an SD memory card or a connected USB device to choose the folder of your choice. Repeat the maneuver for each folder you want to add. Note that the Backup & Sync application allows you to select folders only, not individual files. Then click on the button following.
- In the next window, you are offered to synchronize the content already present on Google Drive on the computer. Otherwise, you can uncheck this option. Then click on the button Start to start the synchronization process.
Save your photos and videos
If you plan to back up your Pictures folder as well as videos, Google offers you to choose between two options for the import size of the files.
- The first option High quality applies image compression but in return offers free and unlimited storage. Photos larger than 16 megapixels as well as videos larger than 1080p are resized.
- The second option Original quality respects the original resolution of the image or video. But in this case, the online storage will be deducted from the amount of space you have available. Choose this option only if you have very spacious Google Drive storage or if you are a seasoned fan of and video which wishes to be able to access its original files in any circumstance.
- Once the option is selected, you also have the option to ask the app to Import photos and videos to Google Photos. From then on, each addition of content in the Pictures folder of the computer will be reflected in the online service.
- Then click on the button following to start the synchronization process as described above.
Use Backup and sync
Once the initial settings are complete, the Backup and Synchronization application performs a first synchronization of all the selected folders. The operation takes place in the background on the computer. Sure, a white shaped appears in the right area of the taskbar.
- Click on this icon to open the application and follow the progress of a synchronization. It is through this that you can access Google Drive or Google Photos by clicking on their respective icons. Note that you can also directly access these services from your Internet if you have already registered a shortcut.
- On Google Drive, synchronized content is stored in the folder Computers and the sub-folder My computer. The latter can be renamed if necessary.
- You can move the folders to other locations in your Google Drive space. But then they will no longer be synchronized.
You can edit or add new folders to sync at any time from your computer or USB device. To do this, open the application by clicking on its icon in the taskbar (Windows) then open the Settings (three points superimposed vertically) and click on Preferences.
To completely stop the operation of the application, you must go to the Preferences and click on Account settings and other services. Then click on Unlink the account and confirm your choice. Your Google Drive account will then be disconnected from the app.